What is Foundations Training?
REGISTER HERE FOR APRIL TRAINING
The Sydney Alliance is a civil society coalition whose mission is to provide our community with a voice to express our common values and aspirations for a fair and just Sydney.
Foundations training is based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation in over 65 years of successful organising. These ideas are translated to an Australian context to cover the essentials of community organising and how we implement it here in Sydney.
The training is interactive, thoughtful and made for people with all levels of experience. Concepts worked through include power, our roles as public people and what strong organisations look like. As practical as it is theoretical, we teach the tools to start building public relationships and working through the organising cycle to solve problems in our communities.
Topics at Foundations training include:
- Community Organising: based on the history and tradition of our religious, union and community organisations
- Relational Organising: individual relational meetings, listening assemblies, research, negotiation and action
- Strengthening our Organisations: building a culture that is relational, action oriented and reflective/learning
- Using Relational Power in the public sphere to take collaborative action on common issues.
Partner organisations are encouraged to send leaders and members to participate. It is an important space to connect with other organisations and to develop skills in community organising. Training is free for members of partner organisations.
Organisations interested in exploring partnership with the Sydney Alliance are also encouraged to participate and to get a feel for the coalition.
Wednesday 28 April & Thursday 29 April
9am - 5pm each day at St Stephen's Uniting Church, 197 Macquarie St, Sydney*
Hosted by Sydney Policy Lab
Places are limited - early registration is recommended. Registrations close Friday 23 April at 5pm, or when places are filled.
* Please note: due to high demand, this is a new, larger venue. Firm COVID capacity rules mean places are still limited though, so register now!