SYDNEY ALLIANCE & SHELTER NSW Present
AFFORDABLE HOUSING CAMPAIGN BOOTCAMP
NEW CO-ORDINATON FOR AN OLD ISSUE
You’ve heard about it in the media
You’ve heard about it at your dinner table…
~ Time to act! ~
Be part of a Sydneywide movement of everyday people fighting for fair housing!
Each month Sydney Alliance and Shelter NSW will be hosting leaders, organisers, citizens, activists and people like you to come together to co-ordinate the many affordable and social housing campaigns happening around Greater Sydney. No prior campaign experience necessary.
Each month we will spend time building relationships across our campaigns and diversity, learning from each other’s battles, and honing community organising tools and thanks to Shelter NSW – about how housing and planning policy works - and coordinating local and citywide action.
Housing Bootcamp Session 2:
When: Wednesday 22nd March 5:45pm-8pm
(First timers invited at 5:30pm to be brought up to speed)
Where: Training Room 1, Unions NSW Trades Hall
Entry via 377-383 Sussex St, Sydney
*** Please bring note donation for dinner ***
RSVPs are ESSENTIAL. Go to bottom of this page to RSVP.
What might local action look like in your neighbourhood?
- Securing your local council’s support for mandatory affordable housing inclusions in new developments & state-wide policy changes
- Protecting and defending social housing
- Building a movement of renters for a fairer deal for tenants
- Campaigning for DV crisis accommodation, aging-in-place, homelessness services
Direct network campaigns
The Affordable Housing campaign for Sydney is using the framework of a “direct-network” campaign. Some of the most successful campaigns around the world have been “direct-network” campaigns.
“Typically led by a central body that frames the issues and co-ordinates energies towards shared milestones but also leaves a fair amount of freedom and agency to grassroots supporters and a diverse network of inside and cross movement allies”.
What to expect?
Bootcamp will include training, some readings and sharing about what is happening in your part of Sydney.
Before the first meeting everyone will be asked to read a short reading about “direct-network” campaigning and a housing infographic. (Don’t be worried if reading isn’t your strong point, all are welcome).
- Expect to be in the room with people from many different walks of life, experience levels and from many different organisations including churches, community groups, universities, mosques, synagogues, unions, NGOs and activist collectives.
- Expect to learn about how housing and planning work from the best experts in town, Shelter NSW.
- Expect to share your own experience from your part of Sydney, and what aspirations you have for the future of housing in Sydney.
- Expect to be trained up in community organising and asked to go out and come back in April ready for the next step.
- Expect to be asked to take action, and be held accountable to commitments you make – so that we can build power to change the housing system!
- Expect a good dinner and to finish on time at 8pm!
Entry via 377-383 Sussex St
Sydney, NSW 2000
Google map and directions