MEDIA RELEASE *** MEDIA RELEASE *** MEDIA RELEASE
Almost 1500 community leaders and members have already far registered to attend the biggest every public event about cost of living issues ever held in Australia.
The Sydney Town Hall Assembly on March 14th will hear from real Australians sharing their everyday struggle with housing insecurity, rental affordability and energy costs.
More than 200 community organisations at the event, representing 2 million Australians, will ask all parties in NSW to commit to a suite of energy and housing costs, including:
- At least 5000 new social housing homes a year in NSW to meet the housing needs of families on low and very low incomes in our communities;
- More security for the state’s 2 million renters by removing ‘no grounds’ evictions in NSW;
- A real funded 10 year plan to end homelessness in NSW;
- Increased targets for affordable housing in new developments;
- A review of Minimum Standards of Rental Houses and Energy Efficiency Standards; and
- $10 million for the first every pilot solar garden in Western Sydney so that renters and people living in units can access renewable energy.
Nationally community leaders are calling on all sides to reform negative gearing to level the playing field for home-buyers and a national strategy to deliver 50,000 social and affordable homes,
Politicians and party leaders from all sides of parliament have so far committed to attend the Assembly:
- Doug Cameron, Shadow Housing and Homelessness Spokesperson
- Mehreen Faruqui, Greens Spokesperson on Housing
- Don Harwin, NSW Minister for Energy and Utilities
- Adam Searle, NSW Shadow Minister for Energy and Climate Change
- Jenny Leong, NSW Greens Housing spokesperson
- Alex Greenwich (Independent)
- Paul Green NSW MLC (Christian Democratic Party)
REGISTRATION TO ATTEND IS ESSENTIAL!
To register contact Andrew McCloud via email
Media enquiries: Jenny Stokes 0478 504 280