- in a fair, just and sustainable quality of life and equality of access and opportunity for all the people of Sydney;
- in the richness of diverse cultures, beliefs and relationships and in the importance of human dignity;
- that individuals need groups, groups need co-operation and co-operation needs relationships based on reciprocity of respect, understanding and trust;
- in the consequent interdependence of enlightened individual interests and our common good;
- that a democratic society benefits from having strong communities and strong civic organisations; and
- that all people have the potential to speak and act with others on their own behalf, to grow and develop as leaders and to participate fully in our democracy.